Students in Reading Workshop are building their blogs, post by post. In addition, many are taking the time to comment on their peers' blogs. Here is some information about commenting to help with this.
Everyone that blogs wants comments. We want every single person that visits our blog to comment. In fact, almost any comment is better than none. So if you visit a blog, the most important rule for blog comments is to comment. Take a minute and let us know you were here and what you think.
If you agree, say so. If you disagree, or have a different opinion, say so. But whatever you do, be assured, bloggers love comments. All comments are appreciated. However, nothing beats a comment from someone that is intelligent and makes a great point.
Here are the Reading Workshop rules for Blog Comments.
1. No personal abuse or name-calling, please. A positive tone wins over the reader, a negative tone drives readers away.
2. Your content is just as important as the bloggers. The first sentence MUST grab the reader. The first paragraph should give the reader an idea what the comment discusses. Keep on topic. Don't write a comment that has little or nothing to do with the subject of the article.
3. Opposing opinions are welcome, as long as they are respectful of the views of others. If you disagree with the opinions of the author, express it politely.
4. Mistakes, especially in grammar and spelling cause the reader to move on to the next comment. Readers assume if you can't write correctly you are not intelligent enough to be worth reading.
5. Avoid repeating yourself. If many people have already said something, please don’t say it again. Once you make a point, support it, but don't keep saying the same thing over, and over, and over.
6. Don’t make comments like “Great post.” If you read it, say why it was great. Add something to the conversation. Add your own view, or thoughts to the topic. Throwing out a statement without telling why it matters, or how it impacts others, or what significance it has to the reader is worthless.
If you are going to take the time to comment, take the time to do it right. Win the comment contest by writing a fabulous comment that makes readers think, or wonder, or smile, or cry, or agree, or disagree. Write a comment with meaning.
Bloggers love comments. All comments are appreciated. However, nothing beats a comment from someone that is intelligent and makes a great point.