The next project in Reading Workshop will be to write a fictional narrative. Students will begin with some pre-writing and planning activities. Then, their stories will be told chapter by chapter on their blog.
The first step to writing a story involves making some decisions.
How many characters will there be?
What are the names of the characters?
Who is the main character?
Where does the story take place?
When does the story take place?
What will happen in the story?
What problems occur?
How will the problems be solved?
What moral or lesson will be learned?
1. Create your characters and develop their characteristics and physical traits. Is there a villain and what is he/she like? How does the bad guy impact the story?
2. Create the setting. Where and when does the story take place. How does the setting impact the story?
3. Create the problem or conflict? What minor problems will build tension leading to the climax? How will the main character react when faced with the main problem/conflict?
4. What crisis will occur at the last minute which will grab the reader and give the main character a last chance to solve the problem? Plan for a fingernail biting moment.
5. How will the main character solve the problem? What positive attribute like courage, creativity, or intelligence does he/she possess which will help him succeed?
6. Finish with style. What lesson does the main character learn? How will the reader connect and learn from the moral?
And now, WRITE!